Wednesday, June 24, 2015

My Writing Workshop Experience

My time at this writing workshop at the Atlantic Center for the arts has been an absolutely amazing experience. I have grown as a professional, as a teacher, as a student, as an overall human being. I had no idea what to expect coming in. I got here and two of the ladies were talking about their children who were exactly my age. I felt like they were going to see me as a child. I was waiting for the "who brought their child to work day" comment. But that attitude certainly changed. The people in this workshop allowed me to open up and feel included. I felt comfortable sharing my thoughts and ideas and asking questions. I have learned so many things during this workshop. I feel like I have an entire group of people in my corner now. Teaching really is about networking. It's a community of lifelong learners. I didn't have any excitement for beginning my senior internship this fall until now. I feel so motivated and inspired to get into that classroom. I am still scared out of my living mind but I know the experience will only help me grow. Teaching really is a calling. I always knew that this is what I was meant to do. I want to make a difference in the world. I want to be a role model. I want to help students overcome challenges in the classroom and in their community. Every single student is special and they deserve a chance in education. They deserve the chance to show off their individuality to figure out what they were meant to be in this world. I feel so passionate for this profession.  I have felt so blessed and so honored and so inspired to spend these past 10 days around other teachers who had that same passion. It really makes me see that it's worth it. These teachers still have that drive to make a difference in the world of education and the world in general.  I don't think I can express enough gratitude for how I feel about getting this chance to attend this workshop. Alongside developing as a future teacher, being in this beautiful setting in New Smyrna Beach has also ignited a fire within me. At the beginning of 2015, I decided to make a change in my life. I decided that if I wanted to be a role model, I needed to overcome my own struggles. I have been embracing a new positive and optimistic outlook on life. During the two days of this workshop, when I got to stay on the grounds of ACA, my love and passion for dance and writing was rebirth. I'm sure there are obvious reasons for the spark in my writing, but the dance took me by surprise. Turns out there is an entire dance studio that went untouched during our entire workshop because only writers and artists have been here. On two separate occasions, I got to go into that dance studio all on my own and rediscover my passion. I got to express myself in a way that I didn't have to think. I felt free, confident, beautiful, strong, and empowered. It was like finding home again. And now that I found it, I don't want to lose it again. During my stay,  I also got the chance to watch the sunrise. I saw the birth of a new day, new opportunities, a new beginning, a fresh start, life. I grew up on the other coast of Florida where you can see the sunsets every day.  While sunsets are beautiful, it's kind of easy to see a sunset. If you just wait long enough, it will happen.  But a sunrise, you have to get out there and catch it. It happens so fast. And you have to wake up really early to see it. Think about it for moment. Would you rather just wait for things to happen in your life? Or go out there and catch the opportunities that are just waiting to be seen! Like a sunrise! The positivity, the love, the fire, the passion, the appreciation, the honor, the joy, the happiness, it's all burning inside of my soul! This has been one of the most wonderful experiences of my entire life. No blog post will ever be long enough to truly express my feelings. I can only hope that others will get a chance to experience something so powerful and moving in their lives. 

Just in case no one has told you yet today, you are beautiful! 


Love, Lex <3 





No comments:

Post a Comment