Thursday, February 5, 2015

Welcome to the Lextravaganza!



I never formally introduced myself on this new blog. And now that I have this blog linked up for one of my class requirements I am going to share a little about me. My name is Alexis, or Lex, and I was born and raised in a small town called New Port Richey, FL. My birth father left me and my mom when I was a baby and was never heard from again. All I have from him is my Spanish heritage which has been shadowed my whole life by the family I do know, my mom's Italian side. I wish that could be different but I didn't have control over it. When I was about five years old, my mom found a man to complete our family. With that, I gained a father and a big sister who is now my absolute best friend. I feel so blessed when I think about my family. I have a whole entire clan of people who choose to love me and be my family when they never had to. Growing up, I was a teacher's pet and a passionate dancer, for twelve years might I add. Things started getting rough for me and my family when I was in 7th grade. In that year, 3 family members passed away between my sister's family and my own. One of those people was my Grandpa who was my hero and role model. Losing him was the absolute worst thing that ever happened to me. In high school, school didn't come so easily to me anymore and I had to work extra hard at it. But as most high school teens experience, I got to start driving, I got my first boyfriend, and started my first job. My whole life revolved a lot around those things. Once I started working I knew I couldn't stop. I would always pick up shifts and go in early. I wanted to be the best at what I was doing. And I was utterly in love with my high school boyfriend and we wanted to spend every waking moment with each other. Eventually that ended and after I graduated high school and started college, I started dating one of my coworkers. For two years, we made each other happier than ever. Sadly, however, life happens and we decided to just be friends. My life in Orlando has taken a lot of time for me to fully adjust. But it has been a year and a half now and I really love it here. I love taking care of myself and being independent. I work full time and go to school full time but staying busy just keeps me productive so I don't be lazy. I am currently a senior at the University of Central Florida and I'm majoring in English Education with a minor in Creative Writing. Since my last break up, I have learned so much about myself. I have formed close friendships that I never thought would have happened for me, and I wake up every day and thank God for my beautiful life. The people in my life right now really make me happy. And more recently I have been trying to live life with a positive attitude. I went in detail about that in my first post if you want to go back and read that, here is the link: http://lextravaganza.blogspot.com/2015/01/one-step-at-time.html. My short term goals are to graduate with a bachelor’s degree in December of 2015 and to begin grad school right after that. I want to get my master's degree in higher education so I can teach at a state college in addition to a middle or high school classroom. Long term goals include getting married and having kids. I have always known my passion and calling is education and making a difference. But another thing I know I want is a family of my own. Being a mom is something I know I am meant to be. But I am not in a rush anymore. I know I used to be but things are different now. I just want to enjoy being young because I am realizing that time goes by way too quickly and I don't want to wake up one day and have regrets over chances and opportunities I missed out on. So I guess that's enough about me. Of course there is more I'm sure but this is already long enough. Please continue to follow me on my journey. Leave comments and subscribe!


Just in case no one has told you yet today, you are beautiful!

Love, Lex ❤️

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for telling me that! Your tenacity and experiences will help you with your future students! Love that higher education is part of your long term goal! I look forward to reading more from you this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite a journey so far Lex. I really could relate to some of the struggles you came across and overcame. I'm right with you on the short term goal of graduating, it's such an exciting time in life that it's a lot to take in sometimes but I wouldn't choose anything else. Thanks for posting Lex, I look forward to reading more about you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First I have to say I love your quote "My only goal in life right now is to be happy.Genuinely, intensely and consistently happy, regardless of what that looks like to others." Many people want things that are out of their grasp and they think that would make them happy. But you already know that you just want to be happy. That is amazing! I love your story and that you are goal oriented. You will be/are a great role model and the experiences we have in our lives, good and bad, mold us into the people we are today. You will be able to relate to your students at a better level because of your experiences.

    ReplyDelete